Expatriate Employee Transfer
Through this service, foreign employees can transfer to another employer without the need to cancel his/ her existing work permit and without the need to travel out of the kingdom of Bahrain. The transfer can be done with or without the consent of the current employer.
In case the transfer is based on the former employer’s approval, the new employer needs to do the following:
- Login to the LMRA’s EMS system to complete the electronic transfer application form. The entered information should be matching to the information in the passport and other related documents. The employee will be transferred after the payment of the fees.
In case the transfer will be done without the former employer’s approval, the following steps will be taken:
- The employee should notify the current employer of his intention to leave by a registered post letter during the specified notice period of the employment contract termination, in accordance with the provisions of the labour law. The notice should not exceed three months from the date set for the transfer application.
- The second (new) employer will submit a transfer request/ application to LMRA prior to the date set for the transfer by one month, providing all the required documents.
- Upon transfer, the first (old) employer will be compensated with the fees of the remaining period of the work permit validity.
|Required document||Special Considerations|
|Employee Transfer with the Current Employer Consent|
|Employee ID card||Copy|
|Work contract template between the employer and the foreign employee (one or two pages max)||Copy
|Dependants’ passports and visa, if applicable||Copy|
|Approval letter/ no-objection certificate from the relevant authority for certain specialized occupations. The approval must be as recent as possible and should not be older than 6 months.||Copy|
|For private sector: Latest paid electricity bill
|In case of employment transfer without the current employer consent, please submit the below documents in addition to the above mentioned documents|
|Resignation and notice letter (as per the labour law and/or the employment agreement between the employee and the employer) addressed to the current employer by the employee who wants to transfer||Copy
|Post office “registered mail” notification card (pink card) or slip for the resignation or notice letter sent by the employee to his/her current employer||Colored Copy|
|For private sector: Latest paid electricity bill
- The transfer process is only available while the foreign employee’s permit is still valid for at least 3 months.
- If applying for transfer, without the consent of the old (current) employer, the employee needs to have completed at least 12 months of service with the same employer before a new employer can apply for his/ her transfer.
- Once the transfer application has been processed, the old (current) employer would be credited with the unused remaining period of the work permit as a “credit note” in the system.
- If the consent of the employee’s old (current) employer is obtained electronically in the EMS system through the “allow transfer function, the transfer will be instant (no need to wait for any period of time or complete 12 months of service). The employer would be then instantly credited with the unused remaining period of the work permit as a “credit note” in the system.
- Employees with expired work permits need to apply for a new work permit (Not Mobility).
- In case of permit expiry or termination/ cancellation the employee has 30 days from the cancellation or expiry date in order to obtain a new work permit on the new employer, otherwise he/she needs to travel out of the country first, before the new employer can apply for him / her.
- The employee continues to work for the first employer; and his due monthly fees shall be paid until the approval of the transfer application and the new employer’s payment of the new work permit fees.
- The new employer commits to pay the new work permit fees within thirty days from the date of the transfer approval; otherwise the approval will be declined.
- The foreign employee would not be allowed to mobilise/ transfer in the following cases:
- If the employee ceases to comply with one or more of the conditions for issuing the permit.
- If a final criminal judgment has been passed against the employee for a felony or a crime that violates honor or honesty.
- If the employee violates the terms under which his work permit was issued.
- If the new employer does not have the required Bahrainisation quotas or has a violation which prevents him from applying for transfer.
- If the employee has a violation which prevents his transfer.
- If the date of the transfer request falls within the last three months of the validity of the work permit (in the case of the foreign worker’s transfer without the consent of his employer).
|Service Counter||Client Services Counter at LMRA’s Headquarters, first floor|
|Contact Centre||+973 17506055|
Phone Service Hours: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Last Update: Monday 17 August 2020